Curatorial Advisory Committee for the 11th edition of Bamako Encounters
Organized by the Malian Ministry of Culture and the Institut français, the 11th edition will take place from December 2, 2017 to January 31, 2018 with professional days from December2 to 5, 2017.
Marie-Ann Yemsi, Curator of the 11th edition of the Bamako Encounters, has chosen to take a more collaborative approach with the setting-up of a Curatorial Advisory Committee. The Committee’s membership reflects a diverse, dynamic range of cultural talents, most of whom are active on the African continent today.
- Sammy Baloji (artist, Co-Founder of the Picha Encounters - Biennale of Lubumbashi, DRC),
- Olfa Feki (architect, independant Curator/Consultant and Regional Representative in Europe/Africa of the agency NOOR images, Tunis, Tunisia),
- Rébecca Lamarche-Vadel (curator, Palais de Tokyo, Paris, France),
- Lekgetho James Makola (artist, Filmmaker and Head of the Market Photo Workshop, Johannesburg, South Africa),
- Aïda Muluneh (artist, Founder/Managing Director of Addis Foto Fest and DESTA For Africa Creative Consulting PLC, Addis-Ababa, Ethiopia),
- Azu Nwagbogu (founder/Director of the ’African Artists’ Foundation and LagosPhoto Festival, Director/Editor-in-Chief Art Base Africa and Curator, Lagos, Nigeria).
The Committee will meet in Bamako at the end of June, in a curatorial workshop chaired by Samuel Sidibé, Director of the Bamako Encounters. The Committee will contribute to the reflection on the program and the special projects of the Bamako Encounters proposed by the curator. It will also participate in the selection of the artists of the pan-African exhibition following the call for applications.
We are delighted to have this opportunity to work with all the members of this Committee to define and shape the space of Afrotopia. We look forward to reviewing your artistic proposals with them in the frame of the call for applications open until June 15, 2017.